Who remembers the show Saved by the Bell? If you’ve been fortunate enough to be around in the late 80s’s and early 90s, you probably also remember the multiple episodes where Zack Morris made calls on his infamous brick cell phone. What you may not be aware of is that this is the 40th anniversary of the invention of the 1st cell phone by Motorola. In 1983, the first version of the mobile phone was invented. These bad boys cost about $4,000.
This technology was then re evolved in 2002. Phones now had the ability to send email and text messaging. Sanyo brought out the first cell phone with a built-in camera, the SCP-5300, released in the U.S. by Sprint.
Since then, the technology giants are looking to solve other smart phone issues such as battery issues and faster network speeds. It’s just really cool to look back and see how far we have come and what our brilliant minds of this decade will do to expand our communications with the world.
- Happy 40th Birthday to the Cell Phone? (darliomsa.typepad.com)
- My Cell phone just turned 40! #dynaTAC (stiel.org)
- Cell Phones Turn 40 Today, Do You Remember Your First Cell Phone Call? (pocketnow.com)
- On the 40th anniversary of the cell phone: revisiting some of the worst cell phones ever designed (deathandtaxesmag.com)
- 40th Anniversary of First Cell Phone Call (wnep.com)